What Has Obama Accomplished
Update: As there are now quite a few places that are linking to this outdated post, I would like to direct you to also check out this updated list of what Obama has done in office as well as this post with some of his newer efforts. He must be doing something right as he’s extending his lead over Romney in the latest polling.
Due to the recent pause here on WIOD, I am sure our readers would really like to know what they’ve missed!
Well, this President seems to be working in some kind of alternate dimension and it’s hardly possible to list every thing he’s been up to until now, but here’s a (incomplete) list of things that the administration has changed so far:
- Reversed restrictions on stem cell research
- Appointed an assistant to the president for science and technology policy
- Created a foreclosure prevention fund for homeowners
- Expanded loan programs for small businesses
- Extended and indexed the 2007 Alternative Minimum Tax patch
- Expanded eligibility for State Children’s Health Insurance Fund (SCHIP)
- Expanded funding to train primary care providers and public health practitioners
- Directed military leaders to end war in Iraq
- Sent two additional brigades to Afghanistan
- As promised gave a speech at a major Islamic forum in the first 100 days of his administration
- Granted Americans unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba
- Restored funding for the Byrne Justice Assistance Grant (Byrne/JAG) program
- Released presidential records
- Now requires new hires to sign a form affirming their hiring was not due to political affiliation or contributions
- Pushed for enactment of Matthew Shepard Act, which expands hate crime law to include sexual orientation and other factors
- Created a White House Office on Urban Policy
- Supported increased funding for the NEA
- Funded a major expansion of AmeriCorps
- Worked to overturn Ledbetter vs. Goodyear
- Banned lobbyist gifts to executive employees
- Pledged to weatherize 1 million homes per year
- Invested in all types of alternative energy
- Enacted tax credit for consumers for plug-in hybrid cars
- Provided grants to encourage energy-efficient building codes
- As promised appointed at least one Republican to the cabinet
- Extended unemployment insurance benefits and temporarily suspended taxes on these benefits.
Of course, we are still awaiting for many of his biggest campaign promises to be fulfilled and many of the major issues are still pretty shady on what he’s really going to do. And to be fair, this list is some of the neat things Obama has done and not the bad – but I would be hard pressed to really find much concrete for such a list as the things that possibly can end up on that side are still in the works (for example the Iraq war, Afghanistan, the bailout, stimulus package, closing Guantanamo and of course the haunting marijuana legalization issue).
So far, pretty neat track record.
Incoming search terms:
- what obama has done
- is obama really that bad
- what has the obama administration done
- list of things obama has done